How to Select a Home Care Provider
Selecting a Home Care Provider can be made a lot easier by asking some questions about the organization. A printable version lets you easily compare different providers.
Questions to Ask a Home Care Provider
- How many years has the Home Care Provider been serving your community?
- Does the Home Care Provider offer printed material describing its services and costs?
- Is the Home Care Provider accredited? This means that their quality of care has been surveyed and approved by an outside accrediting organization (such as Accreditation Canada, CARF, ISO, FOCUS Accreditation, Canadian Centre for Accreditation).
- Is the Home Care Provider a member of a provincial association that has standards of care - such as Home Care Ontario?
- Can you get a service agreement which outlines the services to be provided and the cost, in writing
- What are the costs for services?
- Will the Home Care Provider help access insurance policies and/or government funded services on your behalf?
- How does the Home Care Provider handle billing?
- Will the Home Care Provider provide a list of references?
- What are services provided?
- Will these services meet the home care needs over time?
- Are the Home Care Provider staff available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week?
- Does the Home Care Provider have a nursing supervisor on call and available 24 hours per day?
- What are the qualifications of the staff?
- Does the Home Care Provider ensure patient confidentiality? How?
- How are employees hired and trained?
- Does the Home Care Provider require criminal record background checks and communicable disease screens for its employees?
- What is the procedure for resolving issues that may arise between the patient/family and home care staff?
- Is someone available to answer questions or respond to a crisis?
- Who can you call with questions or complaints?
- What happens if a staff member fails to make a scheduled visit?
- Will the same person visit regularly?
Questions to Ask References
- Do you frequently refer patients to this Home Care Provider ?
- Are your patients/clients satisfied with the services?
- Do you have a contractual arrangement with this Home Care Provider ? If so, are they required to meet special standards of care?